Welcome, friends! Have you ever wondered what all the hype is about juicing?
Here are my Top 5 Reasons for Juicing and a couple of basic recipes to get you started or inspire your juice routine:
- Juicing supercharges your body with nutrients. There is no greater tool than juicing for packing 3-4 pounds of vitamin and mineral-packed produce into a single delicious serving. No one can argue that consuming more vegetables and fruit is a good thing. Juicing is an easy way to do it. This amazing vegan, raw, gluten-free, soy-free, grain-free, paleo-friendly drink contains ridiculous amounts of phytonutrients that flood your body to facilitate cleansing, healing, digestion, and detoxification.
Here’s an idea what just one of the common juice ingredients can do for you:
Kale’s soared in popularity in recent years, and with good reason. Topping the aggregate-nutrient-density-index chart, this green comes in at 1,000—as high as the ANDI goes! With highly absorbable calcium (thanks to a high ratio of calcium to phosphorous) kale juice surpasses milk, cup for cup, in calcium provision. Rich in phyto-chemicals that protect us from cancer, kale can lower the risk of colon, breast and lung cancers, as well as fight osteoporosis, macular degeneration, support the cardiovascular and immune systems, and assist in energy production. This mighty leafy green contains lots of chlorophyll, vitamin A (in the form of carotenoids and beta-carotene), vitamins C, E, B6, and K, folic acid, iron, potassium, magnesium, zinc, and sodium. – excerpt from my book, “The Detox Dynamo Cleanse”(1)
The nutrient content and valuable benefits that each fruit and vegetable provides by juicing them is mind-blowing. You wouldn’t sit down and eat 3-4 pounds of fruits and vegetables at a meal, let alone absorb all the nutrients, but you can easily get all of those benefits with a single serving of juice. Just imagine the cumulative benefits of juicing regularly with a slew of nutrient-dense vegetables and fruit!
- Juicing cleanses the body and supports detoxification. Juices contain a broad range of nutrients and anti-oxidants and enzymes that assist your body in clearing the many toxins we are exposed to from our food, water, air, and the thousands of chemicals in body care, home cleaning, and other products we use regularly. On average, women apply 126 different ingredients to their skin daily and 90 percent of them have never been evaluated for safety(2). Our bodies need all the anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatory vitamins and minerals it can get to support its natural abilities to cleanse which are challenged by our frequent overexposure to toxins. Juicing is a perfect solution. Try one of our many juice cleanse to amp up the benefits of juicing.
- Juicing gives you more energy. The energy benefits of juicing are two-fold: first, the juice provides so many energizing nutrients that you naturally experience a surge in energy levels in a very stable way. I call the wonderful effect a “clean-burn” unlike caffeine that can cause jitters or a roller-coaster of highs and lows for some. Second, because the juice is already broken down by the juicer, it becomes a liquified powerhouse of nutrients that is easily absorbed by the digestive system. Your body doesn’t have to do it’s usual work to break down the food and extract the nutrients, which leaves more of your natural energy to use however you like!
- Juicing is anti-inflammatory. There is a lot of talk about inflammation today, and there are good reasons for it. Dr Tanya Edwards, Director of the Center for Integrative Medicine states that, “although inflammation has long been known to play a role in allergic diseases like asthma, arthritis, and Crohn’s disease, [now] Alzheimer’s disease, cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol levels and Parkinson’s disease may all be related to chronic inflammation in the body.(3) Juicing can be a powerful ally in quenching inflammation by incorporating some of the best anti-inflammatory foods into your body such as ginger, turmeric, leafy greens and pineapple.
- Juicing can reduce your appetite, cravings, bloat and excess weight. It is surprising to many how filling juices can be. When you body is flooded with nutrients from juices, your appetite is suppressed because the juices are supplying your body with its most essential needs. Many people report that cravings are often reduced also for foods such as sugar, salt, starches and high-fat foods. Juicing can help reduce bloating and water-retention also, particularly with juices made with celery, cucumbers, ginger, and melons. When you naturally experience more energy, increase your vegetable intake, feel fuller, reduce cravings, and lose bloat from juicing, weight loss is a common side-effect. Juice fasting is a powerful tool for resetting the body and getting it back on track with appetite and cravings also.
My favorite basic juice recipes:
Clean Green Machine
This juice is designed to help begin the cleansing process overall. Lemon helps detoxify the liver and dissolve mucous. Apple helps break down toxins in the intestinal tract. Kale and spinach offer cancer-preventing antioxidants, iron, calcium and lots of other minerals. Celery provides natural sodium and serves as a natural diuretic. This is a classic favorite juice flavor combination which tastes like fresh green lemonade that most everyone loves!
- 1 green apple
- 2 handfuls of spinach
- 1 stalk of kale
- Half lemon
- 2 stalks of celery
Beet You to the Punch
This juice is a powerful cleanser, focusing mainly on the liver with the ever-powerful beet juice. Apple and lemon add their fair share of nutrients, while beautifully mellowing out the earthy beet flavor with a little tanginess. People are often surprised how much they like beet juice in this combination! Just be aware as it will stain everything on the inside of your body along with clothing and cutting boards too!
- ¼ medium beet
- 1 stalks of celery
- 1 green apple
- ½ lemon
- ½ inch piece of gingerroot
- Optional: serve with mineral water for an effervescent twist.
Spicy I Yam
Juicing benefit – Spicy I Yam: Power up your beta-carotenes, immune system, hair, skin, nails, lower cholesterol and boost respiratory system.
This juice is designed to power up your beta-carotenes with sweet potato and carrots while adding nutrients for your skin, eyes and immune system. Not to mention an irresistible, earthy flavor! Carrots also help lower cholesterol and boost the respiratory system. Lemon adds a tangy flavor and Vitamin C and aids in the breakdown of toxins. Ginger and cinnamon adds a nice little spicy warmth that nobody can deny, all while helping to stabilize blood sugar.
- ½ medium yam or sweet potato
- 2 carrots
- 1 green apple
- ½ inch of gingerroot
- Sprinkle of cinnamon on top of juice when serving
This is a mellowing green juice-laden great for the evening with minerals from the romaine which helps induce sleep and reduce any body pain. Parsley is a blood purifying, chlorophyll-packed tonic that is exceptionally aromatic also, adding a very “clean” flavor. Cucumber adds the hydration and silica that the entire body craves. The lemon and apple pump up the cleansing properties and the flavor, making this juice exceptional anytime – but especially for evening. This is a surprisingly yummy juice with its bright green color, and mellow flavor! Sweet dreams!
- Half cucumber
- Handful parsley
- 1/4 romaine heart
- 1/2 green apple
- Half lemon
- Detox Dyname Cleanse, by Tess Masters and Karen Kipp
- http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2015/06/06/chemical-exposure.aspx, Dr. Joseph Mercola
- https://draxe.com/inflammation-at-the-root-of-most-diseases/, Dr. Josh Axe